At one time or the other you have seen children with braces on their teeth. The thought crosses your mind that their parents are considerate about straightening the crooked teeth and improving cosmetic looks of their children. Many people think that, their children cannot eat solid foods with the braces and braces can also spread some bacterial ingredients in their mouth. It is a wrong concept and you can eat anything with braces, and it can straighten your teeth as well as design your teeth in a proper shape. In this regards, you can contact your nearest dentist and they will suggest you the proper braces according to your needs.
How do braces work?
The periodontal ligament fixes the tooth to the bone and it is elastic. The living tissue can be gently forced over time to change its direction and alignment. A dentist puts in place orthodontic appliance commonly known as braces that are comprises of brackets affixed on the teeth with flexible wires that exert constant pressure and thus change the angle of the periodontal ligament.
Psychological benefit of braces implementation:
Like it or not people with crooked teeth and protruding teeth are treated with social bias and this does affect their psyche. If parents take action to straighten teeth of their children with the use of braces put in place by a dentist, they are making sure that their children will not have to suffer socially degrading remarks. Braces shall make their teeth organized and it will increase their self-confidence level.
Health benefits of braces:
Braces straighten teeth but the benefits go beyond mere straightening. There are health benefits as well to teeth that are straighter, better aligned and closely fitting in the mouth. Various health benefits include:
- By closing the gap there are less chance of food or other particles lodging in the gaps and decaying, thus causing damage and caries.
- By moving and aligning teeth, braces cause teeth to fit together snugly and give support to each other without overhangs. This has two benefits. One is that the teeth do not grind together resulting in reduced erosion of enamel.
- Misaligned teeth or crooked teeth can scrape inner tissues or the tongue and be a constant irritation resulting in lack of concentration. Braces align teeth and improve comfort level inside the mouth, leading to overall increased performance in life.
- It has been found that straightened and well aligned teeth, as a result of fitment of braches, also help reduce chances of periodontal diseases. Periodontal diseases carry the threat of heart diseases, stroke, pneumonia and complications in diabetes.
Different kinds of braces:
Nature intended us to have straight teeth and for good reason. You can speak well when teeth are well aligned.
- You can chew well and your digestion as well as food absorption capabilities stay in top condition. Straight teeth are not quite as susceptible to injury and damage as crooked teeth.
- The good thing about braces is that one does not need to be a child to have them fitted. Even adults can have them fitted to improve alignment of their teeth and enjoy benefits beyond the aesthetic one of a good smile.
- There are various types of orthodontic braces that can be chosen. One is the traditional brace with orthodontic wires that are visible in people undergoing such treatment.
Another, more modern innovation is a brace made of clear, transparent plastic, custom designed to suit the patient’s teeth. It may seem embarrassing for a person to wear braces but these are for only a limited duration for a year or two at the most.
Image source: es.123rf.com and shutterstock.com