3 Hazardous Materials In Your Home

Home is a place where everyone wants and deserves to feel safe and secure. Unfortunately, there can be hazards in your home that you know know nothing about. These particular hazards can lurking right under your nose without you even knowing and they can also have serious consequences. That’s why it’s so important to be aware that these hazardous materials may be present, know how to test for them and what to do about them.

hazardous materialsPhoto by Insitedesigns on Pixabay

1. Asbestos

Asbestos was once thought to be an almost perfect material because of its versatility and resistance to heat and friction. However, it is now known as a dangerous carcinogen that can cause mesothelioma, a type of cancer that forms in the thin layers of abdomen, heart or lungs. Mesothelioma life expectancy is generally short.

Asbestos is most commonly found in older homes as it hasn’t been widely used since the 1980’s and you’re most likely to find it in the drywall, concrete or old floor tiles. The good thing about asbestos is that it won’t cause problems unless disturbed and released into the air, but if you’re thinking of removing the asbestos, it’s best to contact a professional for the asbestos removal cost as removing it isn’t always the cheapest option.

You can learn more about asbestos at Asbestos.Net.

2. Mold

Mold is caused when there is too much moisture in an area. Various types of leaks are a particularly bad culprit for causing mold in your home. So, it’s important to make sure your home has proper ventilation and doesn’t get too humid or damp and it’s important to watch for signs of any kind of leak, if should find a leak be sure to repair it as soon as possible and clean up the area well. Mold, while always unsightly and unpleasant, can also cause health problems. It can exacerbate allergies and asthma and it can even cause issues like severe headaches, diarrhea and cough. If you notice any of these symptoms or if you notice changes in the way you home feels, you may want to have it checked for mold.

3. Lead

Lead-based paint is another issue that is more common in older homes. If you want to be certain whether or not your home contains lead-based paint you’ll have to have it tested, but there are things you can do to make sure it doesn’t become a problem, even if you’re unsure. Much like asbestos, lead doesn’t become a problem unless it’s disturbed. As long as you don’t have any flaking paint or paint dust you shouldn’t have any issues.

Though these issues can cause problems, the good news is that these hazardous materials can be easily fixed. As long as you are diligent in the upkeep of your home, you should be good to go!

Hidden Household Hazards

For most people, the major dangers they or their kids could face are outside. Unfortunately, this means that while they take extra precautions outside of the home, their attention to things at home is less than satisfactory.

This is why we sometimes say that the hazards are actually inside the house more than they are outside. This is why as parents, you must take all the necessary steps to protect your children from those things. To do this, however, you must be able to identify these hazards first. The following are some of those hidden dangers.

Cloth Hampers

Kids are always looking for ways to have some fun in the house. Their standard go-to is often building a fort. While there are many materials that they can use to build their nice little “fort”, cloth hampers tend to attract their attention.

Most parents typically do not consider these hampers as harmful. Yet, many children have been rushed to the hospital because the wires from these hampers cut them in the eye. Children who are injured by these hampers typically need surgeries, particularly when it’s in a place like their eyes.

Fridge Magnets

Yes, these things are important. But they are also incredibly risky when kids are around. Even riskier now are the small stress relieving balls which can be swallowed by children and fully capable of choking them.

Here’s why magnets are dangerous: opposite ends of magnets naturally attract regardless of wherever they are located. All they need is close proximity. So, when children ingest these magnets, they attract each other, causing incredible pain to the children.

Colorful Detergent Pods

The thing about these pods is that they are designed in attractive colors and produced to look like small sweets. And you know kids love sweets. If you leave any of these concentrated detergents lying around, your child might just think that they stumbled on a tasty treat and try to eat them.

Because these are concentrated detergents, once they bite into them and swallow, they are essentially poisoning themselves the results can be significantly uncomfortable at best or devastating at worst.

Small Wristwatch Batteries

These are also referred to as “button” batteries. This is because they are shaped like buttons. If you or a relative use wristwatches or any gadgets that use these small sized batteries, you would do well to ensure that they are either kept out of the children’s reach or ensure that they are actually intact.

These batteries are capable of choking children. And if successfully swallowed, the batteries could open while in the stomach. The fluid from inside the battery can cause significant burns to the child’s alimentary canal.

Candies and Sweets

Who doesn’t like them? We all do. However, candies are considered the number choking hazard among children. Now, we won’t say that you shouldn’t give your children candy.

Just make sure they are soft and small enough to be swallowed. You should also learn appropriate choking rescue techniques like the Heimlich as it could be helpful in providing the much-needed relief necessary for the child.


For the fortunate among us, we only need our meds occasionally. But for those with severe medical conditions, taking the meds on a frequent basis is necessary. Whatever the case, because more adults are popping more pills than ever -whether it’s supplements or prescription drugs- children are inadvertently at risk of ingesting one of these pills.

Depending on the contents of the pills and the child’s allergies –children allergic to penicillin could go into anaphylactic shock- the resultant effects could be mild or fatal. And because you may not be around when this happens, the child could die from the poison. So, whatever you do, always make sure that medicine cabinet is secured and never leave medications around the house carelessly.

If you do happen to find your child has taken some form of medication that you did not administer, immediately call 911 or a local pediatric urgent care, like Night Lite Pediatrics, to assist you.

Oscar King is a freelance writer and family man who contributes advice and insights into the blessings and challenges of family living.